Tuesday, June 18, 2013

eating clean: my not so thrilling endeavor

I consider my overall diet pretty well balanced; I eat plenty of vegetables/fruits and like all types of meats & seafood. I don't eat out too often nor do I rely on processed foods. I don't drink soda and I don't care much for desserts or sweets. My biggest concern is that my meals are too large and I am not physically active. I also drink alcohol quite often. So as a challenge I decided to change up my eating habits by "eating clean". Cut out alcohol, carbs, fried foods, and red/fatty meats. I'm still eating cheese but limited amounts.

I know, so trendy and obnoxious of a decision, but I really wanted to push myself to do something I consider REALLY difficult since I am such a huge food enthusiast. I planned to do this for the month of June to see what sort of impact it has on my body. So how have I been doing so far?

BREAKFAST/LUNCH
IMG_2533-horz

For breakfast I'll scramble one egg with onion, tomato, and a handful of spinach. I also cut up half a zucchini into slices and rub some Good Seasons Italian Seasoning and EVOO onto them and grill them. Those seasoning packets are the BEST. I have been using them for salads and rubbed onto vegetables for years and haven't found anything that is nearly as tasty.

For lunch I'll usually do some sort of salad with chicken breast. The body of my salads usually comprise of romaine, spinach, tomato, cucumber, and feta. I have two dressings that I alternate between. One is lemon juice, crushed garlic, with salt and pepper. My personal favorite though is balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and a sprinkle of the Good Seasons packet. I could drink balsamic vinegar by itself, so tasty! My favorite brand is pictured above.

SNACK
IMG_1223-horz

I crave fruits pretty often so I like to have a different type on hand each week. I especially love tossing it with nonfat Greek yogurt (I like Fage), silvered almonds, and honey. My favorite is with pineapple but strawberry also tastes good. I find the Greek yogurt makes me feel pretty full even if it is only one dollop. I also like eating unripened mango slices with dried pepper flakes.

EXPERIMENTS & EATING OUT
IMG_2493-horz

I don't mind raw carrots but I don't care for cooked carrots at all. I saw a recipe for roasted balsamic carrots and was intrigued. I tried it out and they tasted a bit like sweet potatoes. I'm not sure if it is something I would make again but it certainly wasn't unpleasant.

While visiting family I went to a gathering and picked out healthier options to eat like Papaya Salad and Chicken Larb (pronounced "lahp"). Both are lean and full of flavor due to the seasonings and herbs mixed in.

NOT CLEAN!
IMG_2515-horz

Well I am only human, I did slip up and eat a piece of pork and chicken with some purple stick rice. I can't be near purple sticky rice without indulging since I rarely get to have it! That shit is my crack, glutinous and satisfying. I felt bad at first but the surge of carbs actually helped with prolonging my endurance for my jogs.

Overall I have been eating pretty decent. The first week was BRUTAL. My stomach felt empty since I was eating MUCH less than my body has been used to and I wasn't filling it with the normal amount of meat I consume. I had lots of hungry unsatisfying days. The second week and beyond has been much easier. My stomach finally got used to the amount of nutrition I was providing it and now I don't get the hunger pangs. I drink plenty of water and hot tea to help fill up my stomach.

I also have been averaging about 5-6 miles of running per week. It isn't much but I do feel myself getting stronger and creating a higher endurance each time. I incorporate sets of lunges and burpees into my routine as well.

I have lost around 7 pounds so far from these changes. I'll update again at the end of June to reflect on the challenge and voice my thoughts and plans for maintaining. Now I'm off to dream of pizza and burgers...

No comments:

Post a Comment