Tuesday, January 29, 2013

review: lancome teint idole ultra 24hr foundation

As promised, here is my review on Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24hr foundation. This foundation's formula was recently redone to add SPF 15 (the old version did not). I have the newer version. This foundation advertises to be a full coverage, comfortable, blendable texture that leaves the complexion perfectly smooth, velvety matte with no powdery effect for 24 hours. It also promises to be oil-free, fragrance-free, and transfer-free. I have been using this foundation consistently for over a month so I feel comfortable to give my final thoughts. My verdict? In short, it is not the best for my needs.

lancometeintidoleultra24

PRICING/AVAILABILITY/PACKAGING
Lancome is a readily available brand. You can find it at most department stores and online makeup retailers. This foundation retails for $45 USD, which to me is in the mid range when it comes to high end foundations. I purchased mine in store at a Macy's counter. The packaging is nice. The foundation is contained in a frosted glass bottle with a pump. The pump doesn't dispense that much product in one full pump, more on that later.

LANCOME TEINT IDOLE ULTRA 24 HR WORN ALONE
LancomeTeintIdole

FINISH & COVERAGE
The finish is matte. I don't see any dewiness whatsoever on me. The coverage is quite full. I do not like the finish of this foundation, as I prefer a satin/skin like finish. This is a bit too matte for me, I feel like my skin looks too fake and obviously made up. The coverage is also too much for me. If you like fuller coverage, this would be up your alley. As for me, for my daily look I prefer a skin like finish rather than a perfect flawless finish. This would be great for parties or special events as it blurs pores out very well and looks great in photographs.

FULL FACE
LancomeTeintIdoleFull

CONSISTENCY/FORMULA
This foundation is thick! Another quality that is bothersome and challenging to me. It is difficult to spread out all over my face. One full pump of this foundation only yields a blob smaller than a pea. But using any more than one pump gives me too much coverage. I find a little less than 1.5 pumps works the best for me. Due to the thickness and difficulty to spread, I usually mix a bit of moisturizer with this to make it easier to blend. Although this does contain SPF 15, I do not notice any white cast in photography.

CLOSER LOOK
LancomeTeintIdoleSide

WEAR TIME
I will say that this foundation has very good wear time, though it isn't the best at keeping oil at bay since I still need to blot half way throughout my day. Blotting doesn't bother me too much since that is the norm for my skin type. After blotting, my foundation still looks fresh. This is also one of those foundations that look better with time after your natural oils break through a little (I suppose only oily/combo girls know what I am talking about here). I have worn this for 12 hours before and it held well throughout the whole time. Though I am impressed with the long wearing formula, this foundation DOES transfer which I think is unacceptable as it is advertised to be transfer free.

SWATCHES & COMPARISON
lancometeintidoleswatch(FROM L TO R): LANCOME TIU24H, KOH GEN DO AQUA OC-2, YSL TEINT RESIST #6, REVLON WHIPPED 370 NATURAL TAN, KEVYN AUCOIN SENSUAL SKIN ENHANCER Sx06

**NB: Most of these shades are too dark for me. They are my summer/tan shades. I would like a lighter foundation but don't know what to try next! What are you all enjoying/wearing right now?

SHADE
This foundation has an excellent shade range having 28 shades available. The challenge is finding the best match for you since the color range is so extensive. I was matched with the shade 260 Bisque N, which does not match me the best (note to self, never trust the Macy SA). I should have known better since my skin tone is NOT neutral (what the N stands for), it leans warm. Since my daily ritual involves mixing it with moisturizer, I make it work. For this post I wore this foundation alone, no moisturizer mixed in.

OVERALL
For my daily foundation routine, this is too much for me. I do not think it is a bad product since IT IS advertised as full coverage with a velvet finish and great lasting power, all of which it has so if those are qualities you are looking for it would be worth checking out. I see this more as a "for special events" foundation rather than a daily foundation. I would venture a guess that dry skinned ladies should look elsewhere since the finish is so matte and it could make your complexion seem duller than normal. The thick consistency and transferring annoy me the most, especially since Lancome promises a blendable and transfer free product.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS FOUNDATION IF:

+ You have trouble finding a foundation shade match
+ You prefer full, skin perfecting coverage
+ You like a matte finish
+ You need a long lasting foundation
+ You don't mind blotting half way through your day

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS FOUNDATION IF:

+ Transferring is a deal breaker
+ You like a dewy/skin-like finish
+ You prefer light to medium coverage
+ You need a fluid/easy to blend formula
+ You have dry skin

Have you tried this foundation? What do you think of it?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing and very thorough review! I've always wanted to try this foundation, but after reading your review, I now know that it's not for me. I loathe matte finish foundations and the fact that its difficult to spread is a turn off to me. It does look like it photographs really well.. You look flawless! Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natty! Yes it is very mattifying, I really can't see it being used for anything besides special occasions like a wedding. For myself anyway. Glad you found this helpful :)

      Delete